This is an elegant salad to start off a family gathering, to be sure. But it also makes a terrific light meal in and of itself. Feel free to add cubed beets or roasted vegetables or even a scoop of cooked quinoa if you’re going the main course route.
Frisee and Pear Salad with Blue Cheese and Walnuts
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup shallot, minced, divided
- 2 heads of frisee, cleaned and torn into bite-sized pieces (you’ll have about 6 cups)
- flake sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ripe pears, cored and cut into thin slices
- 2 ounces blue cheese
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
Shake together olive oil, walnut oil, vinegar, honey and 1 tablespoon minced shallots in a tight sealing jar.
Mix together remaining shallot and frisee in a large bowl and toss with dressing (you may not need all of it) and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Divide frisee mixture between four bowls. Top with pears, blue cheese and walnuts.