Grilling sturdy greens gives them a savory smokiness, which plays beautifully into this riff on the classic BLT.
Grilled BLT Salad with Blue Cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 4 hearts of romaine
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, roughly torn
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
Whisk together olive oil, vinegar and garlic. Cut 3 of the romaine hearts in half lengthwise and brush with 1 tablespoon dressing. Place halved romaine cut-side down on a medium-hot grill and cook for 5 minutes, until caramelized. Transfer to a cutting board and coarsely chop along with the remaining raw head. In a large bowl, toss together lettuce, basil and tomatoes with remaining dressing. Top with crumbled bacon and blue cheese.