Before you discard those old cans of coffee, tomato sauce or soup, consider this fun alternative, perfect for the spring gardening season: upcycled tin can planters.
This DIY project is easy, fun and good for the planet. Simply follow these steps and add this happy detail to your home:
Upcycled Tin Cans
- Old tin can(s)
- A hammer and nail or small drill-bit and drill
- Spray paint or another oil-based paint
- Paint brush (if you intend on painting designs rather than a solid color)
- Small plants
- Step 1: Pour your favorite glass of Bonterra wine (do not skip this step)
- Step 2: Clean the can(s) and make sure the top is completely removed and that there are no sharp edges
- Step 3: Create drainage holes in the bottom of the can, either by using the hammer and nail or drilling them with a small drill-bit. Depending on the size of the can, you probably need 3-6 holes
- Step 4: Spray-paint a base coat on your can, making sure the color is applied evenly. Allow paint to dry completely per paint instructions before paining additional designs on the can
- Step 5: Once all paint is completely dry, place rocks in the bottom of the can. This will help the soil drain and will make your planter sturdier. Then, fill with soil and get to planting!
- Step 6: Sit back, sip your organically-grown wine and enjoy this happy addition to your home