Brunch season is in full swing and we have the perfect twist on traditional waffles…Waffle pops! Whether you are hosting a shower, enjoying a spring meal in the garden or casually gathering with friends, these easy-to-make and fun-to-eat snacks will liven up your menu and leave your guests smiling.
You will need:
- A waffle iron
- Your favorite waffle batter recipe
- Jumbo-style wooden popsicle sticks
- Your choice of organic fruit toppings
- A sticky glaze or butter like Nutella (more on this below)
- Make waffle batter according to your favorite recipe. The great thing about a waffle iron is flexibility. Easy recipes can be found for organic, gluten-free, whole wheat or traditional waffle batter – among others!
- Cook waffles. Aim for a golden-brown colored waffle with a slightly crisp surface. Undercooked waffles will not hold up well as pops.
- Cut waffle into quarters, creating four equal, triangle-shaped pieces.
- Allow waffles to cool slightly, then apply a scoop of a sticky glaze or butter. This will help your toppings stay on the waffle pop. We prefer a nut butter or Nutella, but you can also use a simple glaze recipe. If you have a sweet tooth, chocolate or caramel work too!
- Carefully push the popsicle stick into the bottom (rounded) side of the waffle. To help the stick stay in place, dip it first into your glaze or nut butter.
- Finally, lay waffle pops flat and apply your toppings. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes before serving so toppings stick while cooling.
Here are just a few of our favorite combinations!
- Nutella with banana slices and fresh raspberries
- Peanut butter drizzled with honey and topped with blackberries
- Vanilla glaze topped with blueberries and kiwi slices
Of course, make sure you have your favorite organically-grown wines on hand to complement your pops! Try pairing our Rosé, perfect for sipping at brunch.